Saturday, March 11, 2006

Simply Living the Simple Life

The question I repeatedly ask myself is how, with my God given freedom, do I simply live the simple life?
How do I live in the freedom, faith and simplicity that Jesus and the Apostle Paul emphasized so radically in the New Testament?
Followers of Christ must not and cannot ignore these passages for the sake of comfort, wealth and the easy chair!
My desire to eat yummy food, live well, buy new technological appliances and comfortably exist continously gets in the way of the ideal: to be a cheerful generous giver living with essentials. To live by and in faith. Like Paul in the book of Romans I constantly do what I don't want to do, and I don't do what I should do! God knows my struggles and my heart.
It is a battle.
The lilies of the field and the birds of the air have all their needs met by their Creator. I must continually consider them, and in considering them, live by faith, because my Creator will meet all my needs! Faith, faith, faith in the God who WILL supply all my needs.
So, yet, in knowing this, I still struggle to trust in the eternal promise of the Omnipotent Provident One.
When Jesus lived, He coupled simple living with freedom, in other words, He did not couple simple living with legalism. That is seen in His response to the woman who poured on Him a bottle of very expensive perfume. As the disciples rebuked this woman for wasting money, Jesus made it very clear that she had done right in the eyes of God!
Legalism (or moralism) is never the way of Jesus. We should never create a law for ourselves that can never be broken. Yet freedom becomes the more difficult choice, as life consists of a million judgement-calls. But, that is the way of Jesus and the Apostle Paul (especially 1 Corinthians 8 - 10).
Freedom, faith and simple living essentially reside together. They must co-exist, without the other 2, the single will struggle to live by it's lonesome!
In sum, this world is so full of non-essentials, which only serves to occupy and take us away from what our focal concerns should be. The raging battle is to live in a way and manner that would glorify the Lord Of Hosts.
Another way of saying it might be: eliminating some of the non-essentials and time wasters, turning others into essentials and focusing my attention on the focal concerns. This is possible only if we live as Jesus told us; to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbour as ourselves.

1 comment:

Wozza said...

Hey dude, great to hear from ya on my blog!! are you gonna restart this one or what? i'm watching...
Can i add a link to this one on my mates list?
Bless ya