Sunday, November 25, 2007

Neverending thoughts!

I spoke to my mum last night and she said you haven't updated your blog. My trouble is I tend to analyse too much and have so much on my mind 24/7 that I end up trying to escape by just entering into la-la land, by surfing the Internet, watching a movie or blobbing in front of a TV, rather than doing something constructive like reading, exercising, studying or writing something on my blogs. All this results in me having a guilty disposition of wasted time.

Oh well:
At least I am attempting to update it tonight.

Some of the topics I am presently contemplating and pondering over -
  • the frequent stories of working in a homeless shelter - the joys, sorrows, struggles, successes, failures and the continual work the Lord is doing in their lives and the love He has for each and every individual
  • the bigotry, racism, persecution and prejudice experienced by a few homeless and low-income men trying to gain moving jobs outside the local U-Haul
  • the continual comtempt the homeless, disenfranchished and poverty stricken folk receive daily, just because they are homeless. Painted with a fine propangda brush, pretending (and convincing some) that they really do care!
  • the reality, studying and analysing of personality disorders, along with mental illness, addictions, substance abuse and physical disabilities that cause so much suffering. Yet, there is so much beauty that resides in these individuals, making them so unique!! And God, in His majesty, uses such "disorders" to affect change.
  • the corrupt and extremely racist US prison system, which locks the black man up at an incredibly fast and unjust rate - causing families to be torn apart with this new wave of slavery, making it virtually impossible to gain employment and / or housing. Trapped in a society that will not forgive and will hold the crime over the person's head. The facts and figures should embarrass us all!!!
  • the trappings and power of gang life. It embraces the child / youth with manipulative force and produces an addictive power. The more the prestige, the more the bondage upon the individuals life and the chance of escape becomes increasingly more impossible - and don't get me started about prison's role in this system!!!!
  • the question arises: how can I truly advocate for the oppressed, the enslaved and trapped? it is truly devastating!!!!

To change my course slightly, I do think, contemplate and analyse other issues.

  • the affects (often devastating) technology has on society. How Satan uses it and entertains us to death (me included)
  • the affects (often devastating) money has on us. My continued efforts to devalue and desacralize it and treat it with disdain - knowing it is a necessity, yet attempting to make sure it has no power over me!
  • how do I truly love my neighbour - I am currently reading Kierkegaard's Works of Love! An immense challenge to treat and see all people as my neighbour! Existentially living out the command with every person I encounter. It being a duty, not a feeling!
  • a new perspective on the book of Revelation - with an extreme relevance for today. The need to faithfully persevere against the powers that be! A truly exciting discovery!
  • the increased study of the works of Kierkegaard, Jacques Ellul, John Howard Yoder and Marva Dawn and their brilliant insights into living a life of faith.

Wow - I am carrying on, I have so much to ponder - too much! But, I love it! I like to ponder, analyse and pray over these issues - even if it sometimes results in restlessness and mourning.

Of course, I frequently ponder over the beauty of my family. It is first and foremost:

  • The raising and our love of our two gorgeous children and all it's challenges and all it involves: health, struggles, discipline etc., etc....... all the complexities in the neverending commitment and love toward being a faithful husband and father!

There is so much more I could ramble on about. The fact of the matter is - I feel and know that I need to advocate for and love the poor!! Love thy neighbour as thyself!!!! It is a necessity! I know it is a struggle to remain faithful to my calling and not be preoccupied by the pursuit of leisure, being content and meaningless trivia.

No comments: